Dr. John Edwards
John A. Edwards, Ph.D.
School of Psychological Science
2950 SW Jefferson Way, Reed Lodge
Oregon State University
Corvallis, OR 97331-5303
Phone: (541) 737-2311
Fax: (541) 737-3547
- Dr. Edwards is a social psychologist specializing in social cognition and individual differences. He has received grants from the National Science Foundation, Consulting Psychologists Press, and the Department of Defense.
- His general area of research concerns the motivational and personality factors that influence how people make judgments about other people. His specific areas of research concern:
- Causal uncertainty, or uncertainty about the causes of events (and related variables such as depression), and how it impacts social information processing. Recent research extends this work into the health domain.
- Attributions about situations, with an emphasis on people’s understanding of the underlying qualities that people attribute to situations
- Karma – examining whether behaving in a prosocial manner leads a person to see other people as also being prosocial.
- “Best practices” for communication of risk and probability information to people
Ph.D., Ohio State University, Social Psychology
M.A., University of North Carolina at Charlotte, Industrial-Organizational Psychology
B.A., Davidson College, Psychology