Dr. Patti Lou Watkins
Patti Lou Watkins, Ph.D.
School of Psychological Science
Oregon State University
2950 SW Jefferson Way, Reed Lodge
Corvallis, OR 97331
Office phone: (541) 737-9234
- Washington University of St. Louis Medical Center, NHLBI Postdoctoral Research Fellowship (1986-1989)
- University of Mississippi Medical Center & Jackson, VAMC Internship in Clinical Psychology (1985-1986)
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University, Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology (1982-1985; Degree received 1987)
- University of the Pacific, Master’s Program in Psychology (1980-1982; Degree received 1983)
- West Virginia University, Undergraduate Program-Psychology Major (1976-1980; Degree received 1980)
- Association for Behavioral & Cognitive Therapies http://www.abct.org/Home/
- Association for Women in Psychology http://www.awpsych.org/
- Society of Behavioral Medicine http://www.sbm.org/
When I began my career, my research primarily focused on adult stress and anxiety disorders, specifically the Type A behavior pattern and panic disorder, as reflected by my early publications. My intervention work with panic disorder emphasized self-help approaches, with this interest culminating in the 2008 publication of the Handbook of Self-Help Therapies which I co-edited with my colleague, Dr. George Clum of the Virginia Tech Psychology Department.Over time, my research interests have evolved to focus on body image disorders, particularly as they relate to weight bias and physical activity. My more recent publications reflect these current interests as do two classes which I have developed and currently teach, i.e. Women, Weight, & Body Image and Fat Studies.